Fuel pressure is maintained within the fuel lines, even if the engine is OFF or has not been run in a period of time. This pressure must be safely relieved before any fuel-bearing line or component is loosened or removed.
- Place a catch-pan under the joint to be disconnected. A large quantity of fuel will be released when the joint is opened.
- Wear eye or full face protection.
- Slowly release the joint using a wrench of the correct size. Counterhold the joint with a second wrench if possible.
- Allow the pressurized fuel to bleed off slowly before disconnecting the joint.
- Plug the opened lines immediately to prevent fuel spillage or the entry of dirt.
- Dispose of the released fuel properly.