REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The following procedure applies to all 1988-91 4WD models only.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the cotter pin, locknut cap and bearing nut.
- Scribe matchmarks on the inner joint tulip and the side gear shaft flange. Loosen and remove the 4 nuts.
- Disconnect the inner end of the shaft by punching it upward and then pull the outer end from the axle carrier. Remove the halfshaft.
- Position the halfshaft into the axle carrier and pull the inner end down until the matchmarks are aligned.
- Connect the halfshaft to the side gear shaft and tighten the nuts to 51 ft. lbs. (69 Nm).
- Install the bearing nut and tighten it to 137 ft. lbs. (186 Nm) with the brake pedal depressed. Install the cap and a new cotter pin.
- Install the wheels and lower the vehicle.