REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Place a drain pan or plastic container under the fuel filter.
- Slowly loosen the lower flare nut fitting until all the pressure is relieved and all the fuel is collected. Refer to Fuel System for more information on depressurizing the system.
- Loosen the union bolt on the upper portion of the filter and remove the banjo fitting and two metal gaskets. Discard the gaskets.
- Pull the filter from the mounting bracket.
- Place a new filter into position.
- Install the banjo fitting with a new metal gasket on each side and install the union bolt. Tighten the union bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Attach the flare nut to the lower connection and hand tighten. Tighten the flare nut to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Remove the drain pan and/or rags and connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and visually inspect the upper and lower connections for leaks. Run the tip of your finger around both connections to ensure that the connections are leak-free. If any leaks are found they must be repaired immediately.
See Figures 4, 5 and 6
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unplug the fuel filter warning switch connector located at the bottom of the filter housing.
- Loosen the filter clamp bolt and remove the clamp.
- Place a small plastic container under the drain plug at the bottom of the filter. Loosen the drain plug and drain the fuel from the filter.
- With a filter wrench, remove the fuel filter and the warning switch from the filter housing.
- With pliers, remove the warning switch from the filter. Remove the O-ring and replace with new. Discard the filter.
- Coat the new O-ring with clean diesel fuel and install the O-ring onto the switch. Thread the switch into the new filter by hand to ensure proper seating of the O-ring. Properly tighten the switch. Check the drain plug to make sure it is tight.
- Coat the fuel filter O-ring with clean diesel fuel and install the O-ring into the new filter. On 1CT-LC engines, screw the filter handtight only. On 2CT-LC engines, thread the filter into the housing by hand until a slight resistance is felt. With the SST 0922864010 or filter wrench, tighten the filter and additional 3 / 4 turn.
- Install the filter clamp and tighten the bolt.
- Connect the warning switch electrical lead.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Push the priming pump on top of the filter housing several times to fill the filter. Start the engine and inspect for leaks. Correct all leaks immediately.