Before the brake booster is reinstalled, the brake booster pushrod must be adjusted so that there is zero clearance between it and the master cylinder. This adjustment requires the use of a brake booster pushrod gauge such as SST No. 09737-00010 or its equivalent.
- Remove the air cleaner cover and hose.
- Remove the master cylinder.
- Remove the charcoal (evaporative) canister.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the brake booster.
- Remove the pedal return spring.
- Remove the clip and clevis pin.
- Unfasten the 4 retaining nuts and clevis, then pull out the brake booster and gasket.
- Position the booster in the vehicle with a new gasket.
- Install the clevis and operating rod.
- Install the booster retaining nuts and torque to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Install the clevis and torque the locknut to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Install the clevis pin into the clevis and brake pedal, then install the clip to the clevis pin.
- Adjust the length of the booster pushrod as follows:
- Install a new gasket on the master cylinder.
- Set Special Service Tool (SST) 09737-00010 on the gasket, and lower the pin until its tip slightly touches the piston.
- Turn the SST upside down and set it on the booster.
- Measure the clearance between the booster pushrod and pin head of the SST. There should be 0 in. (0mm) clearance.
- Adjust the pushrod length until the pushrod lightly touches the pin head.
- Attach the vacuum hose to the booster.
- Install the charcoal canister.
- Install the master cylinder.
- Install the air cleaner hose and cover.
- Fill the master cylinder reservoir with fluid then bleed the brake system.