It is recommended when replacing the valve cover gasket you replace the seal nuts also. They may be reused only if they do not seem to be damaged.
- Remove and label all electrical wiring, connectors and vacuum hoses necessary to gain removal clearance.
- Remove the spark plug wires. Disconnect the PCV hose.
- Remove the four nuts and grommets located on top of the cylinder head cover.
Label or arrange the grommets so that they may be reinstalled in the same order. This will minimize the possibility of oil leakage when the cylinder head cover is reinstalled.
- Remove the cylinder head cover and the cover gasket from the cylinder head.
- Discard the gasket and replace with a new one.
- With a wire brush or gasket scraper, remove all the old gasket material from the cylinder head and the cylinder head cover gasket surfaces.
- When the cylinder head surfaces are free and clean, apply beads of sealant to the cylinder head in the locations shown in the accompanying illustrations.
- Install the new cylinder head gasket in the cover. Make sure that the gasket seats evenly.
- Place the cylinder head cover with the gasket onto the cylinder head.
- Install the four grommets and nuts. Uniformly tighten the nuts in several passes to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- Connect the PCV hose. Connect all removed vacuum hoses, connectors and electrical wiring. Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and inspect for oil leaks.
- Repair any leaks as necessary.
- Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
- Disconnect the radiator inlet hose.
- Disconnect the throttle and accelerator cables.
- Remove the air cleaner cap assembly.
- Remove the V-bank cover. Use a hexagon wrench to loosen the nuts.
- Label and remove all emission control valve hoses. Disconnect any wiring interfering with the valve cover removal.
- Remove the air intake chamber. This will gain you access to the back valve cover.
- Disconnect the engine wire from the left hand side, No. 3 timing belt cover, rear side and right hand side. Most of the wiring is secured by nuts and or bolts to the body of the vehicle.
- Remove the ignition coils, make sure the place them in order on a table so not to mix them up.
- Remove the 8 bolts retaining the valve covers and gasket.
- Clean the mating area of the valve cover and cylinder heads well. If necessary, scrape any left gasket from either surface.
- Apply seal packing to the cylinder heads and place new gaskets into position.
- Attach the valve covers. Uniformly tighten the bolts in several passes to 69 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Install the spark plugs in their proper locations, then place the ignition coils into place and secure.
- Attach all engine wiring be sure to secure each harness properly.
- Install the air intake chamber. Refer to Fuel System .
- Attach all emission hoses and wiring.
- Attach the V-bank cover.