- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the cotter pin from the bearing locknut cap, then remove the cap.
- Depress the brake pedal and loosen the axle nut.
- Remove the brake caliper attaching hardware, position the caliper aside with the hydraulic line still attached and suspend it with a wire.
- Remove the ABS speed sensor, if equipped.
- Remove the brake rotor.
- Loosen the 2 nuts holding the strut to the steering knuckle assembly. Do not remove at this time.
- Remove the cotter pin and nut from the tie rod end. Using a tie rod end removal tool, separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the ball joint bolt and 2 nuts to disconnect the steering knuckle from the lower arm.
- Remove the 2 nuts and bolts holding the strut to the steering knuckle and separate the knuckle from the strut assembly.
- Remove the axle nut and grasp the hub and knuckle assembly. With a plastic hammer tap the axle shaft to remove knuckle and hub.
Cover the halfshaft boot with a shop rag to protect it from any damage.
- Clamp the steering knuckle in a vise and remove the dust deflector. Remove the nut holding the steering knuckle to the ball joint. Press the ball joint out of the steering knuckle.
- Reattach the ball joint to the steering knuckle. Tighten the ball joint-to-steering knuckle nut to:
- Avalon and Camry: 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm)
- Install a new cotter pin. Drive the deflector shield onto the knuckle.
- Install the knuckle and hub assembly to the axle and temporarily tighten the axle nut.
- Connect the knuckle assembly to the lower strut bracket. Temporarily insert the mounting bolts from the rear and install the nuts.
- Connect the lower ball joint to the lower arm and tighten the fasteners to:
- Avalon and Camry: 94 ft. lbs. (127 Nm)
- Connect the tie rod end to the knuckle.
- Tighten the bolts on the lower side of the strut assembly.
- If equipped, install the ABS speed sensor.
- Install the brake disc and the caliper.
- Tighten the axle nut.
- Connect t