The clutch is a single dry disc type, with a diaphragm spring pressure plate. Clutch release bearings are sealed ball bearing units which need no lubrication and should NEVER be washed in any kind of solvent.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the transaxle from the vehicle (See Transaxle Removal).
- Matchmark the flywheel and the clutch cover with paint or chalk.
- Loosen each set bolt one turn at a time until the spring tension is relieved.
- Remove the set bolts completely, holding the plate against the disc with pressure and pull off the clutch cover with the clutch disc.
- Unfasten the release fork bearing clips. Withdraw the release bearing assembly with the fork and then separate them.
- Remove the release fork boot.
- Using calipers, measure the rivet head depth. Minimum depth is 0.012 inch (0.30mm). If not within the limit, replace the clutch disc.
- Using a dial indicator and V-blocks, measure the clutch disc runout. Maximum allowable runout is 0.031 inch (0.8mm). If the runout is excessive, replace the clutch disc.
- Using a dial indicator, measure the flywheel runout. Maximum runout is 0.004 inch (0.10mm). If the runout is excessive, machine or replace the flywheel.
- Using calipers, measure the diaphragm spring for depth and width and wear. Maximum depth is 0.024 inch (0.60mm) and maximum width is 0.197 inch (5mm). Replace the clutch cover as necessary.
- Grasp the release bearing and turn it while applying force in the axial direction. Replace the bearing and hub as required.
- Install the disc and pressure plate to the flywheel, tightening the bolts just finger tight. Insert proper alignment tool into the clutch disc to center the disc.
- Tighten the cover bolts evenly and gradually in a crisscross pattern in several passes around the cover until they are snug.
- Once the bolts are snug, torque them in sequence to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Using a dial indicator with a roller attachment, measure the diaphragm spring tip alignment. Maximum non-alignment is 0.020 inch (0.05mm). Adjust the alignment as necessary using SST No. 09333-00013.
Apply molybdenum disulfide lithium base grease (NLGI No. 2) to the following parts:
- Release fork and hub contact point.
- Release fork and push rod contact point.
- Release fork pivot point.
- Clutch disc spline.
- Inside groove of the release bearing hub.
- Install the bearing assembly on the fork and then install them to the transaxle.
- Install the boot.
- Install the transaxle to the engine. Test drive the vehicle.