Removal & Installation
To avoid air bag deployment, work must be started after approximately 20 seconds or longer from the time the ignition switch is turned to the lock position and the negative (-) battery cable is disconnected from the battery.
- Turn the crankshaft to align the timing mark on TDC and the distributor rotor facing No. 1 spark plug wire.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the intercooler on the 3S-GTE engine for clearance. Disconnect the air temperature sensor, cruise control actuator cable and air cleaner hose, if more clearance is necessary.
- Disconnect the IIA connectors or ESA connectors.
- Disconnect the spark plug wires.
- Remove the distributor hold-down bolts.
- Remove the distributor assembly.
- If not already aligned, turn the crankshaft to align the timing mark on TDC on the compression stroke.
- Apply a light coat of engine oil to the O-ring.
- Align the cutout of the coupling with the line of the housing, or the protrusions on the housing with the spiral gear.
- Insert the distributor, aligning the center of the flange with that of the bolt hole on the cylinder head.
- Lightly tighten the hold-down bolts.
- Connect the wiring connectors.
- Connect the plug wires.
- Reconnect the battery cable.