REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The 2S-E engine is the only engine in the Celica that uses rocker arms and lash adjusters to activate the valves. Valve operation in on all other engines is accomplished directly by the camshaft and accessory valve components.
- Remove the camshaft (valve) cover.
- Remove the timing gears and timing belt assemblies.
- Following the proper sequence, loosen the camshaft housing nuts and bolts in two passes. Remove the housings (with camshafts) from the cylinder head.
- Remove the rocker arms, one at a time, from the head. As you remove each rocker, wipe it off and either tag it or mark it as to its proper location. It is critical that each rocker be re-installed in its correct location.
- Remove each lash adjuster (valve lifter) from the head, one at a time, and either mark or tag each one for correct installation later.
- Place each lash adjuster (bleed lash adjusters before installation or replace lash adjuster) and rocker arm in the correct position in the cylinder head. Check that the adjusters and rocker arms are installed in the correct order.
- Install the camshaft housings (with camshafts) to the cylinder head. Apply seal packing to the cylinder head installation surface of the camshaft housing.
- Torque the retaining bolts uniformly and in several steps, in the correct sequence to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Install all necessary components that were removed to gain access to camshaft housing retaining bolts.