REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.-On models with an air bag, wait at least 30 seconds from the time that the ignition switch is turned to the lock position and the battery is disconnected before performing any further work.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system. Disconnect the water temperature switch connector.
- Unfasten the clamp and remove the radiator hose from the water outlet elbow. Unbolt and remove the water outlet (thermostat housing).
- Withdraw the thermostat, but first note the position of the jiggle valve on the thermostat for correct installation. The jiggle valve may be set within 10° of either side of the prescribed position on the 4A-FE engine and 5° of either side of the prescribed position on the 5S-FE engine.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of the removal procedure. Use a new gasket on the water outlet. Make sure the thermostat (jiggle valve on thermostat in correct location) is installed in the correct direction with a new thermostat gasket. Tighten water outlet bolts evenly to specifications. Refill cooling system, start engine and check for leaks.