REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On models with an air bag, wait at least 30 seconds from the time that the ignition switch is turned to the lock position and the battery is disconnected before performing any further work.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- On the 2S-E engine, remove the camshaft housing, using the proper procedures. On engines except the 2S-E, remove the camshaft, using the proper procedures.
- Remove the rocker arms or adjusting shims, then remove the valve lifters. If reinstalling, keep them in the order in which they were removed.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
On the 2S-E engine, bleed the adjusters:
- Immerse the adjuster in light oil.
- Insert Toyota special service tool 09276-70010 into the plunger hole and slide the plunger up and down several times while pushing down the check ball lightly.
- Repeat steps "a" and "b" if the plunger stroke exceeds about 0.020 inch (0.5mm).
- Replace the lash adjuster if the plunger stroke exceeds 0.020 inch (0.5mm), even after repeating steps "a" and "b" several times.
Do NOT disassemble the lash adjuster.