REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- On the 2S-E engine, remove the camshaft housing, using the proper procedures. On engines except the 2S-E, remove the camshaft, using the proper procedures.
- Remove the rocker arms or adjusting shims, then remove the valve lifters. If reinstalling, keep them in the order in which they were removed.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
On the 2S-E engine, bleed the adjusters:
- Immerse the adjuster in light oil.
- Insert Toyota special service tool 09276-70010 into the plunger hole and slide the plunger up and down several times while pushing down the check ball lightly.
- Repeat steps "a" and "b" if the plunger stroke exceeds about 0.020 inch (0.5mm).
- Replace the lash adjuster if the plunger stroke exceeds 0.020 inch (0.5mm), even after repeating steps "a" and "b" several times.
- Reconnect the negative battery terminal, check the oil level, start the engine and check for leaks and abnormal noise.