REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 4A-FE Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the water temperature switch connector, if necessary.
- Drain the cooling system into a suitable container if coolant is to be used again.
- Remove the alternator, brackets (adjusting bar) and idler pulley bracket as necessary for clearance for water pump removal.
- Disconnect the radiator water inlet hose (lower hose).
- Remove the timing belt and pulleys. Refer to the correct service procedure before you start this service operation.
- Disconnect water by-pass hose from water pump. Remove the heater pipe as necessary. Disconnect the oil cooler water bypass hose, if equipped.
- Remove the retaining nuts, if equipped, holding the water by-pass pipe to the water pump. Remove the water pump bolts in the correct sequence. Remove the water pump, O-ring and gasket. Tap the assembly with a soft-faced hammer, if necessary.
- To install assemble the water pump and pump cover using a new gasket and O-rings. Torque the water pump cover retaining bolts to 78 inch. lbs. (8.8 Nm) on the 3S-ge engine and 82 inch. lbs. (9.3 Nm) on the 2S-E, 3S-FE, 3S-GTE and 5S-FE engines.
- Install the water pump assembly to engine using a new gasket. Torque the retaining bolts in the correct sequence to 69 inch. lbs. (7.8 Nm) on the 3S-GE and 3S-GTE engines and 82 inch. lbs. (9.3 Nm) on the 2S-E, 3S-FE and 5S-FE engines.
- Install the heater pipe, connect water by-pass hose. Tighten nuts holding water by-pass pipe to water pump to 82 inch lbs. (9.3 Nm), except on the 3S-GTE engine; torque those to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install alternator adjusting bar (bracket).
- Install pulleys and timing belt. Make sure that the timing belt assembly is installed in the correct manner.
- Install idler pulley and alternator brackets. Connect radiator (lower) inlet hose. Install the alternator and electrical connections. Reconnect battery cable.
- Refill the engine with the correct amount of the specified coolant. Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system in to suitable container if coolant is to be used again.
- Remove the timing belt covers (upper and lower) to gain access to the water pump assembly.
- Remove the power steering drive belt adjusting bracket.
- Disconnect all water hoses. Remove the water inlet pipe.
- Remove the oil dipstick and dipstick guide. Plug it to keep dirt out.
- Remove the water pump (O-ring) with the drive pulley as an assembly, being careful not to let anti-freeze get on the timing belt.
- To install water pump assembly (pulley must be on pump), place new O-ring in position on the engine block.
- Torque the water pump retaining bolts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm) in steps.
- Install oil dipstick guide with retaining bolt and dipstick.
- Install water inlet pipe with new O-ring. Torque the nuts to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) and the bolt to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm). Connect all water hoses using new water hose clamps if necessary to the water pump assembly.
- Install the power steering drive belt adjusting bracket. Install the timing belt covers in the correct location.
- Connect the battery cable. Refill the engine with the correct amount of the specified coolant. Start the engine and check for leaks.