REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Make sure all wires, hoses and vacuum lines are marked to simplify installation. When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
On models with an air bag, wait at least 30 seconds from the time that the ignition switch is turned to the lock position and the battery is disconnected before performing any further work.
Except 4A-FE Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the water temperature switch connector, if necessary.
- Drain the cooling system into a suitable container if coolant is to be used again.
- Remove the alternator, brackets (adjusting bar) and idler pulley bracket as necessary for clearance for water pump removal.
- Disconnect the radiator water inlet hose (lower hose).
- Remove the timing belt and pulleys. Refer to the correct service procedure before you start this service operation.
- Disconnect water by-pass hose from water pump. Remove the heater pipe as necessary. Disconnect the oil cooler water bypass hose, if equipped.
- Remove the retaining nuts, if equipped, holding the water by-pass pipe to the water pump. Remove the water pump bolts in the correct sequence. Remove the water pump, O-ring and gasket. Tap the assembly with a soft-faced hammer, if necessary.
- To install assemble the water pump and pump cover using a new gasket and O-rings. Torque the water pump cover retaining bolts to 78 inch. lbs. (8.8 Nm) on the 3S-ge engine and 82 inch. lbs. (9.3 Nm) on the 2S-E, 3S-FE, 3S-GTE and 5S-FE engines.
- Install the water pump assembly to engine using a new gasket. Torque the retaining bolts in the correct sequence to 69 inch. lbs. (7.8 Nm) on the 3S-GE and 3S-GTE engines and 82 inch. lbs. (9.3 Nm) on the 2S-E, 3S-FE and 5S-FE engines.
- Install the heater pipe, connect water by-pass hose. Tighten nuts holding water by-pass pipe to water pump to 82 inch lbs. (9.3 Nm), except on the 3S-GTE engine; torque those to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install alternator adjusting bar (bracket).
- Install pulleys and timing belt. Make sure that the timing belt assembly is installed in the correct manner.
- Install idler pulley and alternator brackets. Connect radiator (lower) inlet hose. Install the alternator and electrical connections. Reconnect battery cable.
- Refill the engine with the correct amount of the specified coolant. Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system in to suitable container if coolant is to be used again.
- Remove the timing belt covers (upper and lower) to gain access to the water pump assembly.
- Remove the power steering drive belt adjusting bracket.
- Disconnect all water hoses. Remove the water inlet pipe.
- Remove the oil dipstick and dipstick guide. Plug it to keep dirt out.
- Remove the water pump (O-ring) with the drive pulley as an assembly, being careful not to let anti-freeze get on the timing belt.
- To install water pump assembly (pulley must be on pump), place new O-ring in position on the engine block.
- Torque the water pump retaining bolts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm) in steps.
- Install oil dipstick guide with retaining bolt and dipstick.
- Install water inlet pipe with new O-ring. Torque the nuts to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) and the bolt to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm). Connect all water hoses using new water hose clamps if necessary to the water pump assembly.
- Install the power steering drive belt adjusting bracket. Install the timing belt covers in the correct location.
- Connect the battery cable. Refill the engine with the correct amount of the specified coolant. Start the engine and check for leaks.