REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the front wheel.
- Disconnect brake hose from the strut. If necessary, disconnect the brake hose from the caliper.
- Disconnect the ABS sensor wire from the strut, if equipped.
- Remove the two bolt nuts and bolts and disconnect strut from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the three nuts on the upper side of the strut. Remove the strut with coil spring from the vehicle.
- Install the strut with coil spring to the vehicle. Install the 3 nuts and torque to specifications.
- Connect the strut assembly to the steering knuckle. Install the two bolts (with bolt heads to the rear of the vehicle) and torque the bolts to specifications.
- Connect the ABS sensor wire to the strut, if equipped.
- Reconnect the brake hose to the strut and caliper. Bleed the brake system (See ).
- Install front wheel and lower the vehicle. Check the front wheel alignment.
- Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Position a bolt and two nuts between the bracket at the lower portion of the strut shell and clamp strut in a vise. The bolt acts as a spacer to allow for clamping without crushing the bracket.
- Using SST No. 09727-22032 or a suitable spring compressor, compress the coil spring.
Failure to fully compress the spring and hold it securely is extremely hazardous. It could suddenly shift, causing injury. Wear eye protection.
- Using SST No. 09727-22032 or suitable clamping device, hold the spring seat so that it will not turn and remove the center nut. Discard the nut.
- Slowly release the coil spring tension.
- Remove the suspension support (bearing plate), dust seal, spring seat, spring insulators, coil spring and bumper.
- While pushing on the piston rod, make sure that the pull stroke is even and that there is no unusual noise or resistance.
- Push the piston rod in and then release it. Make sure that the return rate is constant.
- If the strut does not operate as described, replace it.
If a strut is replaced, the old one should have the top nut loosened slightly to vent the internal gas. Wear safety goggles.
- Install the lower insulator.
- Install the spring bumper onto the piston rod.
- Compress the coil spring with the spring compressor.
- Align the coil spring end with the lower seat hollow and install.
- Install the upper insulator.
- Face the ""OUT" mark of the spring seat toward the outside of the vehicle.
- Install the dust seal onto the spring seat.
- Install the suspension support.
- Install a new suspension support (bearing plate) nut and torque to 34 ft. lbs. (47 (Nm).
- Release the spring compressor.
- Pack multi-purpose grease into the suspension support and install the dust cover.