Vehicles that are equipped with rear disc brakes are equipped with parking brake shoes that fit inside the disc rotors.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Loosen the rear wheel lugs slightly and raise the rear of the vehicle and support it safely. Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the two mounting bolts and disconnect the rear disc brake assembly. Suspend the disc with wire from the strut spring or a convenient location on the body.
- Pull the rotor disc from the axle hub. If the rotor disc is stubborn, return the shoe adjuster until the wheel spins freely, and remove the disc.
- Using a suitable spring removal tool, remove the return springs.
- Remove the shoe strut with the adjuster spring.
- Slide the front shoe out and remove the adjuster. Unhook the tension spring and remove the front shoe.
- Slide the rear shoe out and remove the tension spring. Disconnect the parking brake cable from the lever. Remove the shoe hold down spring cups, springs and pins.
- Lubricate all shoe sliding surfaces of the backing plate and the threads and head of the adjuster with a high temperature lithium grease or equivalent.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the to the rear shoe lever. Install the shoe hold down springs, cups and pins.
- Slide the rear shoe in between the hold down spring cup and the backing plate.
- Hook the one end of the tension spring to the rear shoe and connect the front shoe to the other end of the spring. Install the adjuster between the front and rear shoes. Slide the front shoe in between the hold down spring cup and the backing plate.
- Install the strut so that the spring end is forward.
- Install the front and then the rear return springs using the removal tool.
- Before installing the disc, lightly polish the disc and shoe surfaces with a fine grit emery cloth. Position the rotor disc onto the axle hub so that the hole on the rear axle shaft is aligned with the service hole on the disc.
- Adjust the parking brake shoe clearance: Temporarily install two of the wheel nuts and remove the hole plug from the face of the disc. Turn the adjuster clockwise to expand the brake shoes until the disc locks. Return the adjuster eight notches and install the hole plug.
- Attach the disc brake assembly to the backing plate and torque the bolt to 34 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Install the rear wheels and lower the vehicle.
- Adjust the parking brake shoe clearance: Temporarily install two of the wheel nuts and remove the hole plug from the face of the disc.
- Turn the adjuster clockwise to expand the brake shoes until the disc locks. Return the adjuster eight notches and install the hole plug.