REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the cotter pin, locknut cap and bearing nut.
- Scribe matchmarks on the inner joint tulip and the side gear shaft flange. Loosen and remove the 4 nuts.
- Disconnect the inner end of the shaft by punching it upward and then pull the outer end from the axle carrier. Remove the halfshaft.
- Position the halfshaft into the axle carrier and pull the inner end down until the matchmarks are aligned.
- Connect the halfshaft to the side gear shaft and tighten the nuts to 51 ft. lbs. (69 Nm).
- Install the bearing nut and tighten it to 137 ft. lbs. (186 Nm) on 1988-91 models and to 166 ft. lbs. (226 Nm) on 1992-93 models with the brake pedal depressed. Install the cap and a new cotter pin.
- Install the wheels and lower the vehicle.
- Mount the driveshaft in a vise and check that there is no play in the inboard and outboard joint.
- Make sure that the inboard joint slides smoothly in the thrust direction.
- Make sure that there is no excessive play in the radial direction of the inboard joint.
- Inspect the boots for damage.
- Remove the inboard joint boot clamps, then remove the inboard joint boot from the inboard joint tulip.
- Paint (Do NOT punch) matchmarks on the inboard joint tulip and the driveshaft and remove the tulip from the driveshaft.
- Place matchmarks on the shaft and the tripod, remove the snapring and tap the tripod from the shaft.
- Remove the outboard boot clamps, then both boots from the driveshaft.
Do NOT disassemble the outboard joint.
- Temporarily install the boots and clamps in the correct order onto the shaft.
- Install the tripod joint in the reverse order of removal.
- Install the inboard joint tulip to the driveshaft after packing 0.4 lb. (180 grams) of grease into the tulip.
- Install the outboard joint boot after packing 0.26 lb. (120 grams) of grease into the boot.
- Make sure that the boot is properly installed in the grooves on the driveshaft.
Make sure that the boot is not stretched or compressed when the driveshaft is at standard length:
Standard driveshaft length, 1988-91: 21.99 in. (558.5mm)
- To lock the boot bands, bend the band back and close the locking tabs. Mount the driveshaft in vise and check that there is no play in the inboard or outboard joints. Check that the inboard joint slides smoothly in the thrust direction.