REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it with jackstands. Position an hydraulic jack underneath the rear hub assembly; raise it just enough to support the assembly.
- On the liftback, remove the rear speaker grilles.
- On the coupe, remove the suspension service hole cover or the speaker board.
On vehicles with drum brakes:
- Disconnect and plug the brake line at the backing plate.
- Remove the clip and E-ring and then disconnect the brake hose and tube from the strut housing.
If equipped with rear disc brakes:
- Remove the union bolts and gaskets and disconnect the brake line from the brake cylinder.
- Remove the clip and E-ring from the strut and then disconnect the brake hose from the strut housing.
- Loosen, but do NOT remove, the nut attaching the suspension support to the strut.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar at the lower end of the strut housing.
- Disconnect the strut at the axle carrier.
- Matchmark the upper bearing plate, then remove the 3 strut-to-body bolts. Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Position the assembly with the matchmarks aligned, then tighten the upper strut-to-body nuts to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm) on 1986-89 models or 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm) on 1990-93 models.
- Tighten the lower strut-to-carrier bolts to 119 ft. lbs. (162 Nm) on 1986-89 models or 188 ft. lbs. (255 Nm) on 1990-93 models.
- Connect the stabilizer bar to the strut and tighten the bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm) on 1986-89 models or 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm) on 1990-93 models.
- Tighten the top strut holding nut to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm). Install the dust cover onto the suspension support.
- Reconnect the brake line and hose, torquing to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) on models with disc brakes, or to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm) on models with drum brakes.
- Install all other components that were removed. Bleed the brake system, lower the car and have the rear wheel alignment checked.
- Remove the strut assembly as outlined.
- Mount the strut assembly in a suitable vise. Using a suitable spring compressor, compress the coil spring.
- Remove the strut suspension support (bearing plate) nut. Remove the strut suspension support, the coil spring and bumper.
- Install the bumper to the strut, align the coil spring end with the lower seat hollow and install the coil spring.
- Align the strut suspension support hole and piston rod and install it. Align the suspension support with the strut lower bushing.
- Install the top strut suspension support nut and torque it to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).