Inspect the condition of the radiator and heater hoses periodically. Early spring and at the beginning of the fall or winter, when you are performing other maintenance, are good times. Make sure the engine and cooling system are cold before examination. Visually inspect for cracking, rotting or collapsed hoses, replace as necessary. Run your hand along the length of the hose. If the hose is being rubbed through at any point or if a weak or swollen spot is noted when squeezing the hose wall, replace the hose.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Place a large drain pan under the radiator draincock. The draincock is located on the lower right side of the radiator.
- Open the draincock and drain the radiator. Only a few turns is required to establish a good flow.
- Once all the coolant is removed from the radiator, close the draincock and move the drain pan out of the way.
- Release the tension of the two upper radiator hose clamps and slide the clamps away from the hose connections. With a moderate twisting and pulling motion, remove the upper radiator hose from its attaching points.
- Loosen the two lower radiator hose clamps and push the clamps away from the hose connections. Remove the lower hose in the same manner as the upper hose.
- Before installing the new hoses, ensure that the radiator and engine hose connections are clean. This is important for proper sealing.
- Install the lower radiator hose with new clamps. Make sure the clamps are even and adequately tight.
- Install the upper radiator hose with new clamps. Make sure the clamps are even and adequately tight.
- Fill the reserve tank to a level between the Low and Full lines on the tank with a suitable ethylene glycol based coolant mixed with the proper amount of water (follow instructions on coolant container). Make sure the radiator cap is tight.
- Start the engine and allow to idle for several minutes, making sure the engine does not overheat. Check the hose connections for leaks. If available, use a pressure tester to check the system for leaks, following the manufacturer's instructions.