REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The rack and pinion unit should be removed for this procedure, since attempting to remove the inner tie rod ends with the rack still installed risks damaging the unit.
- With the rack removed, remove the rack boots.
- Unstake the claw washers without causing any impact to the rack.
- Supporting the rack mainshaft, unscrew the inner tie rod ends. Do not allow the mainshaft to twist.
- Install new claw washers, aligning them with the rack grooves.
- Install and torque the inner ends to 61 ft. lbs. (83 Nm) on 1986-87 models and to 53 ft. lbs. (72 Nm) on 1988-93 models.
- Install the boots and clamps.