REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds once the battery cable is disconnected to perform any work on the vehicle. this will hinder air bag deployment.
- Remove the battery.
- Unbolt and extract the filler tube.
- Disconnect the throttle cable.
- On A246E models equipped with cruise control, remove the actuator.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the engine left mounting upper side bolt(s).
- Remove the throttle cable and ground cable mounting bolts.
- Remove the starter.
- Disconnect the neutral safety switch, speed sensor and solenoid wiring.
- Disconnect the oil cooler hoses.
- On the A246E, disconnect the intermediate shaft.
- Disconnect the pressure and return lines.
- Install an engine support fixture.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the engine under covers., then drain the transaxle fluid.
- Remove the left and right driveshafts. Refer to the procedure in this section.
- Jack up the transaxle with a jack and support it securely.
- Remove the engine rear mounting bolt.
- Extract the front exhaust pipe from the engine.
- Unbolt and remove the engine suspension members.
- On the A140E, remove the stiffener plate and No. 1 manifold stay.
- Remove the converter clutch cover. Turn the crankshaft to gain access to the bolts. Hold the crankshaft pulley set bolt and remove the 6 bolts.
- On the A140E, remove the 3 bolts and the transaxle.
- On the A246E, remove the 2 engine left mounting lower side bolts, then the 5 bolts and the transaxle.
Installation is the reverse order of removal, but keep these important steps in mind:
- If the torque converter has been drained and washed, refill with new ATF.
Using calipers and a straight edge, measure the installed surface to the front surface of the transaxle housing. Correct distance should be:
A246E-0.898 inch (22.8mm)
- Jack up the transaxle and align the 2 knock pins on the block with the converter housing and secure the bolts as follows:
- Secure the crossmember bolts and nuts as follows:
After installation, adjust the throttle cable, shaft cable and neutral safety switch. Fill the automatic transaxle and check the fluid level.
- Test drive the vehicle.
See Figure 6
- Check that the throttle valve is fully closed.
- Check that the inner cable is not slack.
- Measure the distance between the outer cable end and stopper on the cable. Standard boot and cable stopper distance should be 0-0.04 inch 90-1mm).
- If the distance is not within specifications, adjust the cable using the adjusting nuts.
See Figures 7 and 8
When shifting the lever from the N position to the other positions, check that the lever can be shifted smoothly and accurately to each position and that the position indicator correctly indicates the position. If the indicator is not aligned with the correct position, carry out the adjustment procedure.
- Loosen the swivel nut on the manuals shift lever.
- Push the control shaft lever fully toward the right side of the vehicle.
- Return the control shaft lever 2 notches to the N position.
- Set the shift lever to the N position.
- While holding the shift lever lightly toward the R position side, tighten the shift lever nut to 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).