A proportioning valve is used to reduce the hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes because of weight transfer during high speed stops. This helps to keep the rear brakes from locking up by improving front to rear brake balance.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The proportioning valve is located in the center of the firewall under heater hoses.
- Disconnect the brake lines from the valve unions.
- Remove the valve mounting nuts, if used, and remove the valve.
If the proportioning valve is defective, it must be replaced as an assembly; it cannot be rebuilt.To install:
- Place the valve in line and attach with the mounting nuts.
- Attach all brake lines to the valve.
- Bleed the brake system.
- Test drive the vehicle for proper operation.