REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Remove the transaxle from the vehicle.
- Place matchmarks on the flywheel and clutch cover.
- Loosen each set bolt one turn at a time until the spring tension is released.
- Remove the set bolts, then pull off the clutch cover with the disc.
Do not drop the clutch disc.
- Remove the throw-out bearing and fork form the transaxle. Separate the two components.
- Inspect the components.
- Install the clutch disc with a guide tool, then set the clutch cover in position.
- Align the matchmarks on the cover and flywheel. Tighten the bolts on the cover in the order shown to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Temporarily tighten the No. 1 and No. 2 bolts.
- Check the diaphragm spring alignment with a dial indicator with a roller instrument. Alignment should be 0.020 inch (0.5mm).
- Apply molybdenum disulphide lithium based grease (NLGI No. 2) to the release fork and hub contact points, release fork and push rod contact point, release fork pivot point and the clutch disc spline.
- Place the throw-out on the release fork, then install the assembly on the transaxle.
- Attach the transaxle to the engine and secure the components.
See Figure 8
Measure clutch pedal height from the floor to the top of the pedal pad, along the line of pedal travel. The height should be:
1994-5.86-6.25 inch (148.8-158.9mm)
- Adjust the pedal height, if necessary, by loosening the locknut and turning the adjusting bolt or rotating clutch switch, and retighten the locknut. Now adjust the pedal free-play.
See Figure 9
Push in the pedal until the beginning of the clutch resistance is felt. Resistance is 0.197-0.59 inch (5-15mm).
Gently push on the pedal until the resistance begins to increase a little. The push rod free-play at the pedal top should be 0.039-0.197 inch (1.0-5.0mm)
Loosen the locknut and push the rod until the free play and push rod play are correct. Tighten the lock nut, then after adjusting the play, check the pedal height. connect the air duct and install the finish panel.Clutch Release Point
See Figure 10
- Pull the parking brake lever and install a wheel stopper.
- Start the engine and idle the engine.
- Without depressing the clutch pedal, slowly shift the shift lever into reverse position until the gears contact.
- Gradually depress the clutch pedal and measure the stroke distance from the point the gear noise stops (release point) up to the full stroke end position. Standard distance is 0.98 inch (25mm) or more.
If the distance is not as specified, perform the following inspections: