REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Open the tailgate completely.
- Remove the inner trim panels.
- Disengage the electrical connector from the wiper motor and third brake light as required. Remove the harness and position out of the way.
- Scribe the hinge location on the tailgate to aid in installation.
- Disconnect the damper stay from the tailgate and position out of the way. Disconnect the rear defroster wiring, if equipped.
- Remove the tailgate-to-hinge bolts and remove the tailgate from the vehicle.
- Install any components removed from the old tailgate such as the wiper blade assembly, motor, striker etc.
- Position the tailgate on the vehicle and align the scribe marks.
- Install the tailgate-to-hinge bolts and secure tightly.
- Install the damper stay to the tailgate attaching the upper end to the tailgate first.
- Reconnect the electrical harness as required.
- Install the interior trim panel.
- Close the tailgate slowly to check for proper alignment, and adjust as required.
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
To adjust the door in horizontal direction, loosen the side hinge bolts and position the tailgate as required and secure. Tighten the bolts to 11 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
To adjust the door in the vertical direction, loosen the body side hinge nuts to adjust. Increase or decrease the number of shims used under the hinge. Tighten the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
To adjust the tailgate lock striker:
- Remove the deck rear trim cover.
Be careful not to damage the clips during removal.
- Adjust the lock position by slightly loosening the lock mounting bolts, and hitting the lock with a hammer and brass bar.
Do not tap the lock too hard.
- Install the deck rear trim cover.