REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 14
- Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
- Remove the air cleaner hose and cap.
- Disconnect accelerator cable from the throttle linkage. Remove the 2 bolts and the cable bracket.
- On automatics, disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle linkage.
- Label and disconnect the vacuum hoses.
- Carefully remove the throttle position sensor wiring connector.
- Label and remove the water hoses from the air valve.
- Depending on the type of mounting refer to the following:
- Wash and clean the cast metal parts with a soft brush and carburetor cleaner. Use compressed air to blow through all the passages and openings.
- To check the throttle valve to see that there is NO clearance between the stop screw and the throttle lever when the throttle plate is fully closed.
- Inspect the throttle position sensor, refer to Driveability & Emissions Controls .
- Place a new gasket in position and install the throttle body with its two nuts and two bolts. Install the throttle body (with new gasket facing the protrusion downward).
Secure the throttle body as follows:
- The four bolt type; upper side bolts are 1.77 inch (45mm) and lower side bolts are 2.17 inch (55mm). all bolts are tightened to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
The two bolt and nut style, install and secure to 14-16 ft. lbs. (19-21 Nm). with the 2 bolts and nuts and tighten.Make certain everything is properly positioned before securing the unit.
- Attach all wiring to each labeled component.
- Connect the all water and vacuum hoses.
- Install the air cleaner cap and hose.
- Connect the wiring to the throttle position sensor.
- Connect the accelerator cable and its return spring.
- Refill the coolant to the proper level.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check operation of the throttle body.