See Figures 1, 2 and 3
Always apply protection tape to the body adjacent to the component when removing or installing. When prying off the body components with a screwdriver or scraper, etc. be sure to apply protection tape to the tip of the blade to prevent damage to the component or paint. This will not be a sure way to keep the component from being damaged. Careful use of a tool in this matter is necessary. There are tools specifically made to remove trim pieces of a vehicle that can be purchased at your local parts store.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
- Turn the ignition key to the LOCK position. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds from the time the negative battery was disconnected to start work.
- Remove the front pillar garnishes and the scuff plates from the inner door wells.
- Remove the steering wheel. Refer to the procedure in Section 8.
- Unscrew and remove the cowl side trim boards and steering column cover.
- Unsecure the upper console panel, make sure to tape the end of the tool prior to removal.
- Remove the screws to extract the console box. Watch out for the clips.
- Remove the combination switch, lower center cluster finish panel, cluster finish panel and No. 1 register.
- Unbolt and extract the instrument cluster. Refer to Chapter 6 .
- Using a flat bladed tool, remove the screws and clips then extract the center cluster finish panel. Be careful when working near the air bag wiring, do not damage the harness.
- Unscrew and remove the lower center finish panel with glove box.
- Remove the No. 2 side defroster nozzle.
- Disconnect the instrument panel wiring, and label if necessary. Remove the 9 bolts and 2 nuts, then pull out the instrument panel.
- On the center console bracket support, remove the bolt, nuts and bracket. Next unbolt the No. 2 center console bracket. Remove the brake spring, 6 bolts, 2 nuts and center bracket support.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Attach the instrument panel wiring to the appropriate harnesses. Place the panel into position and tighten the bolts and nuts to 69 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Attach the No. 2 side defroster nozzle.
- Attach the passengers side airbag. Refer to the airbag precautions in Section 5. Tighten the bolts. Tighten the instrument panel reinforcement bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
- Attach the No. 2 heater duct register.
- Install the heater control assembly, combination meter and radio.
- Install and secure the No. 1 and No. 2 heater duct registers.
- Install the cluster finish panel, and the center cluster finish panel.
- Install the front console box and lower instrument panel. Position the no. 2 under cover and secure into position.
- Install the combination switch.
- Position the instrument panel lower pad and secure the mounting bolts. Insert he coin box.
- Install the rear console box and upper console panel secure.
- Attach the steering column cover and steering wheel. Install the drivers side air bag. Refer to Steering Wheel Removal and Installation in Section 8.
- Install all of the remaining components in the reverse order. Make sure all components are secure.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Reset all of the electrical components such as radio and clock.