REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
All models covered by this guide are equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS, as described in Section 6.
- Remove the battery and air cleaner assembly with hose.
- On models with cruise control, unbolt and remove the cruise control actuator.
- Remove the starter.
- Unbolt and unclamp the clutch slave cylinder release cable.
- Remove the ground cable.
- Disconnect the back-up light switch wiring.
- Disengage the transaxle control cables from the linkage.
- Disconnect the speed sensor connector.
- Remove the 3 bolts on the upper side of the transaxle case.
- Unbolt and remove the nuts on the left engine mounting for the upper side.
- Attach an engine support fixture.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it securely.
- Remove the engine under covers.
- Drain the transaxle oil.
- Remove the left and right driveshafts.
- Unbolt and pull down the front exhaust pipe and support bracket. on some models the O2 sensor will need to be removed.
- Unbolt and remove the starter.
- On the C52 transaxle, unbolt and remove the engine center crossmember.
- Remove the engine front mounting as follows:
- Remove the hole plug.
Remove the engine rear engine mounting as follows:
- Remove the 2 hole plugs.
- Remove the through bolt.
- Remove the 4 bolts, 2 nuts and the engine rear mount.
- Remove the engine left mount bolt from the lower side.
- On the S54 transaxles, unbolt the engine center crossmember.
- Remove the stiffener plate held in by 6 bolts and a nut.
- Jack up the transaxle slightly and support it.
- Remove the transaxle mounting bolts and lower the engine on the left side and pull the transaxle from the engine.
To install, align the input shaft spline with the clutch disc and install the transaxle to the engine. Tighten the mounting bolts on the manual transaxle to:
S54- A 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm)
- Install all the remaining components in the reverse order of removal and tighten to specifications in the end of this section.
- Install the air cleaner assembly with hose.
- Fill the transaxle to specifications. Refer to the chart in Section 1
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Inspect the front end alignment.
- Perform a road test. check for abnormal noises and smooth shifting.