REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Loosen the rear lugnuts.
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel.
- On disc brake models, remove the disc and caliper.
- On rear drum models, remove the drum.
Check the bearing backlash and axle hub deviation.
- Place a dial indicator near the center of the axle hub and check the backlash in the bearing shaft direction. Maximum is 0.0020 inch (0.05mm). If the backlash exceeds the maximum, replace the axle hub and bearing assembly.
Using a dial indicator, check the deviation at the surface of the axle hub outside the hub bolt. Maximum is 0.0028 inch (0.07mm). If the deviation exceeds maximum, replace the axle hub with bearing.
- Unbolt the stub axle. To access the bolts , turn the hub where a bolt is accessible through the holes.
- Pull the hub and bearing assembly off .
- Remove and discard the old O-ring.
- Coat the new O-ring with MP grease and insert into the back of the hub.
- Attach the hub and secure each bolt to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Install the brake drum or disc with caliper.
- Install the wheel, hand-tighten the lug nuts.
- Lower the vehicle and secure the lug nuts to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm).