See Figure 1
Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the terminals.
- Check that there is no continuity between the terminals when the sensor is above 199 °F (93 °C). Check that there is continuity between terminals when the temperature is below 181 ° (83 °C).
- If the continuity is not within specifications, replace the switch.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 2
- Locate the coolant temperature sending unit on the engine.
- Disconnect the sending unit electrical wiring.
- Drain the engine coolant below the level of the switch.
- Unfasten and remove the sending unit from the engine. Discard the old gasket if equipped.
- Coat the new sending unit with Teflon tape or electrically conductive sealer. Place a new gasket on the sender.
- Install the sending unit and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Attach the sending unit-s electrical connector.
- Fill the engine with coolant.
- Start the engine, allow it to reach operating temperature and check for leaks.
- Check for proper sending unit operation.