The neutral safety switch is connected to the throttle cable and the manual shift lever on the transaxle. The switch, in addition to preventing vehicle start with the transaxle in gear, also actuates the back-up warning lights.
If the engine starts with the shift selector in any position except Park or Neutral, adjust the switch as follows:
- Loosen the two neutral start switch retaining bolts and move the shift selector to the Neutral range.
- Align the groove and the neutral basic line. Maintain the alignment and tighten the bolts to 48 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
Removal & Installation
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the neutral start switch harness.
- With a pair of needle nose pliers, remove the clip that connects the manual control cable to the manual shift lever.
- Unstake the lock nut and remove the manual shift lever.
- Remove the neutral start switch with the seal gasket.
- Install the neutral start switch making sure that the lip of the seal gasket is facing inward.
- Install the manual shift lever.
- Install the locknut and tighten to 61 inch lbs. (7 Nm). Stake the nut with the locking plate.
- Connect the switch harness. Adjust the neutral start switch.
- Connect the transmission shift cable and install the clip.
- Adjust the transmission shift cable.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Check the operation of the switch and adjust as necessary.
- Raise an support the front of the vehicle.
- On some models it may be necessary to remove the No. 2 engine under cover.
- Disconnect the shift cable from the manual shift lever. A nut retains the cable.
- Remove the nut and extract the manual shift lever.
- Pry off the lock plate and remove the manual valve shaft nut.
- Remove the two bolts and pull out the switch.
- Position the neutral safety switch on the manual valve shaft.
- Install a new lock plate and tighten the nut until secure.
- Using a screwdriver, stake the nut with the lock plate.
- Temporarily install the manual shift lever.
- Turn the lever counterclockwise until it stops, then turn it two notches.
- Remove the manual shift lever.
- Adjust the switch.
Use the groove to align the basic line.
- Install and tighten the two bolts to 48 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Install and secure the manual shift lever.
- Connect the shift cable to the manual shift lever.
- Install the No. 2 engine under cover and lower the vehicle.