Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the spark plug wires from the clamp on the valve cover.
- Label the spark plug wires and extract them at the rubber boot end.
Pulling on or bending the plug wires may damage the conductor inside.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable from the throttle body, then pull the cable from the clamp on the intake manifold.
- Disconnect the throttle control cable from the throttle body.
- Remove the PCV hose.
- Unbolt the cable bracket from the intake manifold.
- On some models, disconnect the engine wire protector from the mounting bolts of the No. 2 timing belt cover in the sequence shown.
- Remove the nuts, grommets, valve cover and gasket.
If the grommets are being reused, arrange them in the same order as they had been removed. Leakage can occur if a grommet is placed in the wrong position.
- Pull off the gasket from the crease of the valve cover.
- Clean the valve cover and cylinder head mating area thoroughly.
- Apply seal packing to the cylinder head as shown in the illustration.
- Install the gasket to the valve cover. Install the valve cover and position the four grommets and nuts.
- Uniformly tighten the nuts in several passes to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
Install the grommets so that their markings are as shown.
- If removed, install the engine wire protector to the mounting bolts of the No. 2 timing belt cover in the sequence shown.
- Connect all the cables and hoses detached previously. Tighten the accelerator bracket.
- Install and secure the plug wires. Attach the wires into the clamp.