Check Leakage Rate
- Leaving everything as it was from the injection test, disconnect the service tool test probes from the battery.
- Check the injector tip for leakage for a period of one minute. An acceptable leakage rate is one drop.
- If the leakage exceeds this amount, replace the injector.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the all the test equipment.
- Install the injector(s).
To avoid personal injury, do NOT smoke or use any type of open flame when testing the injectors!
- Remove the injector(s) from the vehicle and set aside (See Fuel Injectors).
- Place a rag under the "banjo" fitting and, disconnect the fuel hose from the fuel filter outlet. Remove the gaskets and replace them with new ones.
- Connect SST No. 09628-41045 (union and hose) to the fuel filter outlet connection with the new gaskets and tighten the union bolt.
- Remove the fuel pressure regulator.
- Connect the fuel return hose to the pressure regulator with the service union with a set of new gaskets and tighten the union bolt.
- Install a new O-ring onto injector.
- Connect the special service tool (union and hose) to the injector, and hold the injector and union with the clamp.
- Connect a length of rubber or vinyl hose to the injector tip to prevent fuel splashing and overspray.
- Place the injector into a graduated cylinder with metric increments.
- With a jumper wire, short the +B and FP terminals of the check connector.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition switch ON , but Do NOT start the engine.
- Connect SST No. 09842-30070 (wire) to the injector and battery for 15 seconds.
Measure the volume injected into the cylinder during the 15 second period. The volume should be:
3.0-3.6 cu. inch (49-59cc)-5S-FE engine
Test each injector two or three times.
- If all four injectors were tested, there should be no less than 0.3 cu. in. (5cc) difference between each injector. If the actual volume does not agree with the specified volume, replace the injector.
Check Injector Operations
- Start the engine.
- Position the probe of a technicians stethoscope (or finger tip) under the base of the injector connector and have an assistant alternately increase the engine rpm and return it to idle.