Toyota's hand-held tester or an equivalent OBD-II scan tool must be used for this procedure.
- Warm the engine to normal operating temperature.
- Connect an OBD-II compliant scan tool to the DLC3 located under the dash on the driver's side. Refer to Section 4 for more information.
- Connect the timing light to the engine as per manufactures instructions.
- Using SST 09843-18020 or its equivalent jumper wire, connect terminals TE1 and E1 of the DLC1 under the hood.
- After the engine speed is kept at about 1000-1500 rpm on the 7A-FE and 1000-1300 on the 5S-FE for 5 seconds, check that it returns to idle speed.
- Check the ignition timing, the reading should be 10° BTDC at idle.
- Remove the jumper wire from the DLC1.
- Recheck the timing, the mark ranges from 5°-15° BTDC on 7A-FE and 0-10 on 5S-FE at idle.
- Disconnect the scan tool.
- Disconnect the timing light.
The ignition timing is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). No adjustment is necessary or possible.