All 1975-79 Celicas are equipped with an electric fuel pump. The pump on the 1975-79 Celica is located inside the fuel tank.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the trim panel from inside the trunk.
- Remove the screws which secure the pump access plate to the fuel tank.
- Withdraw the plate, gasket and pump assembly as one unit.
- Disconnect all leads and hoses from the fuel pump.
- Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
Always use a new gasket when installing the fuel pump.
- Start the engine and check for any leaks.
See Figure 2
- Disconnect the lead from the oil pressure warning light sender.
- Unfasten the line from the outlet side of the fuel filter.
- Connect a pressure gauge to the filter outlet with a length of rubber hose.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
- Check the pressure gauge reading against the figure given in the "Tune-Up Specifications" chart in Engine Performance and Tune-up .
- Check for a clogged filter or pinched lines if the pressure is not up to specification.
- If there is nothing wrong with the filter or lines, replace the fuel pump.
- Turn the ignition OFF and reconnect the fuel line to the filter. Also connect the lead to the oil pressure sender.