REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Do not perform this procedure on a warm engine. The exhaust and intake manifolds are connected and get very hot.
8R-C and 18R-C Engines
See Figure 1
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, complete with hoses, from its mounting bracket.
- Remove the fuel line, vacuum lines, automatic choke stove hoses, PCV hose, and accelerator linkage from the carburetor.
- Unfasten the carburetor securing nuts. Remove the torque rod support, carburetor, and heat insulator.
- Use a jack to raise the front of the car. Support the car with jackstands.
Be sure that the car is securely supported.
- Unfasten the bolts which attach the downpipe flange to the exhaust manifold.
- In order to remove the manifold assembly, unfasten the manifold retaining bolts. On 1974 California engines, remove the EGR valve and tubes first.
Remove and tighten the bolts in two or three stages, starting from the inside and working out.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. Always use new gaskets. Tighten the manifold securing bolts to the figure shown in the Torque Specifications chart, in the reverse sequence of removal.