REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
20R, 22R and 22R-EC Engines
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Remove the three exhaust pipe flange bolts and disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold.
- Tag and disconnect the spark plug leads.
- Position the spark plug wires out of the way. It may be best to tie them so they don't flop back in your way.
- Remove the air cleaner tube from the heat stove on carbureted engines, and remove the outer part of the heat stove.
- Use a 14mm wrench to remove the manifold securing nuts.
- Remove the manifold, complete with air injection tubes and the inner portion of the heat stove.
- Separate the inner portion of the heat stove from the manifold.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the retaining nuts to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm), working from the inside out, and in several stages. Install the distributor and set the timing as previously outlined. Tighten the exhaust pipe flange nuts to 25-32 ft. lbs. (34-43 Nm).4M-E and 5M-E Engines
- Raise the front and the rear of the car and support it with jackstands.
- Remove the right-hand gravel shield from beneath the engine.
- Remove the exhaust pipe support bracket.
- Unfasten the bolts from the flange and detach the exhaust pipe from the manifold.
- Disconnect the connector for the oxygen sensor.
- In order to remove the manifold, unfasten the manifold retaining bolts.
Remove and tighten the bolts in two or three stages, starting from the inside and working out.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. Always use a new gasket. Tighten the retaining bolts to the specifications given in two or three stages.
See Figure 5
The air intake hose may have to be removed to give access to all the manifold nuts.
- Jack up the front end of the car and safely support it with jackstands.
- Remove the right-hand gravel shield from underneath the car.
- Remove the exhaust pipe support stay.
- Unbolt the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold flange.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector.
- Remove the seven nuts and remove the exhaust manifold.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Use a new manifold gasket and tighten all nuts evenly to 25-33 ft. lbs. (34-43 Nm).