REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 5M-GE Engine
See Figure 1
- Drain the oil.
- Raise the front end of the car with jacks and support it with jackstands.
- Detach the steering relay rod and the tie rods from the idler arm, Pitman arm and steering knuckles, as detailed in Suspension & Steering .
- Remove the engine stiffening plates.
- Remove the splash shields from underneath the engine.
- Support the front of the engine with a jack and remove the front engine mount attaching bolts.
- Remove the engine shock absorber if equipped.
- Raise the front of the engine slightly with the jack.
- Unbolt and withdraw the oil pan.
Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. Apply liquid sealer to the four corners of the oil pan gasket on 20R, 22R and 22R-EC engines, then tighten the oil pan securing bolts to the following specifications:
8R-C and 18R-C engines-3-5 ft. lbs. (4-7 Nm)
- Disconnect the battery cables at the battery.
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely with jackstands.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly. Mark any disconnected lines and/or hoses for easy reassembly.
- Remove the oil level gauge.
- Disconnect the upper radiator hose at the radiator.
- Loosen all of the drive belts for the crankshaft-driven accessories (alternator, power steering pump, etc.).
- Remove the four fan shroud bolts.
- Remove the four fluid coupling flange attaching nuts, then remove the fluid coupling along with the fan and the fan shroud.
- Remove the engine undercover.
- Remove the exhaust pipe clamp bolt from the exhaust pipe stay.
- Remove the two stiffener plates from the exhaust pipe.
- Remove the clutch housing undercover.
- Remove the four engine mount bolts from each side of the engine.
- Place a jack under the transmission and raise the engine about 1 3 / 4 inches (44mm).
- Remove the oil pan mounting bolts and remove the oil pan from the engine.
If difficulty is encountered while removing the pan, rotate the crankshaft a small amount to gain extra clearance.
- Installation is the reverse of the previous steps. Use a new oil pan gasket during installation. Apply a small amount of sealer to the oil pan gasket at each of the four corners of the oil pan. Tighten the oil pan fasteners to 57-82 inch lbs. (6-9 Nm). Adjust the drive belts and replenish the engine with oil and the cooling system with the proper type and quantity of coolant. Check for leaks after the engine is started.