REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 16
Only the 5M-GE engine has a timing belt.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the upper radiator hose. Loosen the drive belts.
- Remove the fan assembly along with the fan shroud. Remove the drive belts.
- Remove the air intake connector.
- Rotate the engine so as to bring the number one cylinder up to Top Dead Center of its compression stroke.
- Remove the retaining bolts of the No. 3 timing belt cover and remove the cover and gasket.
- Loosen the idler pulley set bolt of the timing belt and shift the pulley towards the alternator side. Finger-tighten the set bolt and then relieve the timing belt tension.
- Remove the timing belt from the camshaft timing pulleys.
- Using a suitable camshaft pulley holding tool, remove the camshaft pulley set bolts and remove the pulleys along with the match pin.
Do not make use of the timing belt tensioner when removing and installing the pulley set bolt. The exhaust and intake sides each use a different type of pulley and they are not interchangeable.
- Using a suitable crankshaft pulley holding tool, remove the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt. Using a suitable pulley puller, remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the bracket of the cooler compressor.
- Take a piece of chalk and mark the direction of rotation on the timing belt. Be sure to install the timing belt in this same direction.
- Remove the No. 1 timing belt cover and remove the timing belt.
- Remove the idler pulley and tension spring.
- Using a suitable gear puller, remove the crankshaft timing pulley. Remove the seal behind the gear at this time.
- Using a suitable tool, hold the oil pump drive shaft gear still and remove the retaining bolt. Remove the gear.
Remove the timing chain cover seal as follows:
- Using a suitable punch and hammer, tap out the old oil seal from the cover.
- Using a suitable seal driver and hammer, drive in a new oil seal until the surface is flush with the edge of the timing chain cover.
- Apply some high temperature multi-purpose grease to the lip of the oil seal.
- Install the oil pump drive gear and tighten the bolt to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Using a suitable seal installer, install a new crankshaft timing gear seal. Install the gear.
- Temporarily install the idler pulley and tension spring.
- If using the old belt, check the rotation direction chalk mark placed on the timing belt during disassembly.
- Install the timing belt on the crankshaft pulley.
- Install the No. 1 timing belt cover (lower cover).
- Install the bracket of the cooler compressor.
- Install the crankshaft pulley and pulley retaining bolt and torque to specification.
- Remove the oil filler cap and cylinder head cover on the exhaust side.
Install the camshaft timing pulleys and timing belt as follows:
- Make sure that the match hole on the No. 2 journal of the camshaft housing is aligned with that of the camshaft.
- If not aligned properly, temporarily install the camshaft timing pulley and insert the match pin into the pin hole. Then align the match holes by turning the camshaft timing pulley.
- Install the camshaft timing pulleys with the guide facing the direction as indicated. The exhaust side will be with the pulley guide facing the No. 2 timing belt cover. The intake side will be with the pulley guide facing the front side.
- Align the matchmarks of the No. 2 timing belt cover with those of the camshaft timing pulleys and of the crankshaft pulley. Be sure that the No. 1 cylinder is set to Top Dead Center on its compression stroke, which it should be if the engine has not been disturbed.
- Install the timing belt with the belt having the proper tension between the crankshaft timing pulley and the camshaft timing pulley on the exhaust side.
- Loosen the idler pulley set bolt and stretch the timing belt. Tighten the idler pulley set bolt to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm). Be sure that the timing belt tension is applied evenly throughout the belt.
- There are 3 pin holes on the camshaft and timing pulleys. Select the one overlapped hole and insert the pin into it.
- The crankshaft pulley angle can be adjusted approximately 3°deg; by changing the pin hole to the next one.
- Using a suitable camshaft pulley holding tool, install the camshaft pulley set bolts and tighten them to 50 ft. lbs. (69 Nm).
***WARNING***Do not make use of the timing belt tensioner when tightening the camshaft pulley bolt.
- Loosen the idler pulley set bolt. Turn the crankshaft clockwise 2 times and retighten the idler pulley set bolt. If timing belt tension is to loose or to tight use the idler pulley to adjust the tension.
- Install the cylinder head cover and gasket on the exhaust side.
- Install the oil filler cap.
- Install the No. 3 timing belt cover and gasket.
- Install the fan clutch assembly and fan shroud.
- Install the radiator upper hose. Install the drive belts.
- Install the air cleaner case assembly with the air intake connector.
- Refill the coolant system.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable. Connect a timing light and tachometer.
- Start the engine and set the ignition timing. Recheck the idle speed adjustment. Check for leaks and add coolant as necessary.