The ECM receives signals from various sensors on the engine. It then processes this information and calculates the correct air/fuel mixture under all operating conditions. The ECM is a very fragile and expensive component. Always follow the precautions when servicing the electronic control system.
The ECM computer is located below the instrument panel in the left kick panel on 1979-81 Liftbacks, and underneath the glove box area on other fuel injected Celicas and Supras.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Locate the ECM and release the lock, then pull out the connector. Pull on the connectors only!
- Unbolt the ECM from its mounting area.
- Mount the ECM on the vehicle in the proper location.
- Fully insert the connector, then check that it is locked.