REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If equipped, remove the distributor cap rubber boot.
- Loosen the screws securing the cap on the distributor.
- Tag the wires leading to the cap for easy identification upon installation.
- Lift the cap off the distributor. Pulling from the wire boot, remove the plug wires from the cap.
- If necessary to remove the rotor, lift it straight off the shaft.
- Install the rotor onto the distributor shaft. The rotor only goes on one way so there should be no mix-up in replacement.
- Apply a small amount of dielectric grease on the tip of the rotor and the inside of the cap carbon ends.
- Attach the tagged wires to their proper locations on the cap.
- Fit the cap onto the distributor, then tighten the bolts.
- Make sure all the wires are secure on the cap and spark plugs. Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the vehicle and check for proper operation.
When inspecting a cap and rotor, look for signs of cracks, carbon tracking, burns and wear. The inside of the cap may be burnt or have wear on the carbon ends. On the rotor, look at the tip for burning and excessive wear.