The neutral safety switch in addition to preventing the vehicle from starting with the transaxle in gear also actuates the back-up warning lights.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the neutral start switch connector.
- With a pair of needlenose pliers, remove the clip that connects the manual control cable to the manual shift lever.
- Unstake the lock nut and remove the manual shift lever.
- Remove the neutral start switch with the seal gasket.
- Install the neutral start switch making sure that the lip of the seal gasket is facing inward.
- Install the manual shift lever.
- Install the locknut and torque to 61 inch lbs. (6.9 Nm). Stake the nut with the locking plate.
- Engage the switch connector.
- Adjust the neutral start switch.
- Connect the transaxle shift cable and install the clip.
- Adjust the transaxle shift cable.
- Check the operation of the switch and adjust as necessary.
See Figure 1
If the engine starts with the shift selector in any position except Park or Neutral, adjust the switch as follows:
- Loosen the two neutral start switch retaining bolts and move the shift selector to the Neutral range.
- Align the groove and the neutral basic line. Maintain the alignment and torque the bolts to 48 inch lbs. (5.4 Nm).