REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, complete with hoses.
- Disconnect the accelerator and choke linkages from the carburetor, along with the fuel and vacuum lines as well.
- Remove, or move aside, any of the emission control system components which are in the way.
- Unfasten the retaining bolts and remove the carburetor from the manifold.
- Loosen the manifold retaining nuts, working form the inside out, in two or three stages.
- Remove the intake/exhaust manifold assembly from the cylinder head as a complete unit.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. Always use new gaskets. Tighten the bolts, working from the inside out, to the specifications given in the torque specifications chart.
Always tighten the bolts in two or three stages in order to prevent cracking or warping the manifold
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner and all necessary hoses.
- Disconnect all of the carburetor linkages.
- Remove the carburetor.
Cover the carburetor with a clean towel to prevent dirt from entering it
- Disconnect the exhaust manifold pipe.
- Loosen the retainers and remove the manifold.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the manifold bolts to 15-21 ft. lbs. (20-28 Nm).