See Figures 1 through 6
- Remove the transmission from the vehicle. For details, please refer to Drive Train of this repair guide.
- If equipped, remove the clutch assembly.
- Matchmark the flywheel to the crankshaft, then unbolt and remove the flywheel.
- If equipped, remove the dust shield from the rear of the engine.
- Loosen and remove the oil seal retaining plate retainers, then remove the plate complete with the oil seal.
- Use a small prytool to remove the old seal from the retaining plate. Be VERY careful not to score or damage the plate's sealing surfaces.
- Carefully install the new seal, using a suitable seal installer, socket, or a block of wood to drive it into place. If anything other than a seal installer is used, be sure the surface touching the seal is smooth and will not tear the seal lips.
- Lubricate the lips of the seal with multipurpose grease, then install the remaining components in the reverse order from removal.