REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
An assistant is not only helpful for this procedure, but will help prevent paint damage
- Protect the painted areas such as the fenders with a protective cover or equivalent.
- If equipped, disconnect any hood mounted wiring or hoses (such as underhood compartment lights or wiper washer hoses).
On most vehicles covered by this information you have a choice of hood removal procedures, either you can remove the hood from the hinges or the hood and hinges from the body. In either case be sure to matchmark the position of the hinges to the component (hood or fender) from which they are being removed
- Matchmark the hood hinges to the vehicle body or to the hood depending on which bolts are being removed.
If the hood is being replaced and you are using the old hinges, it probably makes more sense to leave the hinges attached to the body
- Loosen the hinge-to-vehicle body or hinge-to-hood retaining bolts, as desired. In both cases, be sure to have an assistant help steady the hood. If the hinge-to-hood retaining bolts are being removed, be careful that the hood does not slide back on the hinges contacting the cowl or windshield.
- With the aid of an assistant remove the retaining bolts and lift the hood (or hood and hinge assemblies) away from the car.
- Installation is the reverse of removal procedure. Be sure to use the hinge alignment marks made during removal to help assure proper installation.
- Align the hood to the proper position, then tighten the hinge mounting bolts.
- Don't forget to reconnect any wiring or hoses which were disconnected during removal.
See Figures 4 and 5
Since the centering bolt is used as the hood hinge set bolt, the hood can not be adjusted with it installed. Replace the bolt with one which contains a washer, refer to the necessary illustration
- For forward/rearward and left/right adjustments, loosen the body side hinge bolts, then move the hood the desired position.
- For vertical adjustment of the hood's front edge, turn the cushion at that edge.
- For vertical adjustment of the hood's rear edge, increase or decrease the number of washers or shims.
- Adjust the hood lock by loosening the bolts and repositioning as necessary.