Air is drawn in through the air filter to the air flow meter. The volume of air depends on the throttle plate opening as controlled by the accelerator pedal. Air volume and temperature is measured by the air flow meter which then converts the measurement to a voltage signal that is sent to the ECU.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unscrew the mounting bolts and remove the air cleaner inlet.
- Remove the air cleaner element.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the top of the meter and remove the oxygen sensor wire from the clamp on the side of the meter.
- Loosen the hose clamp and pull off the intake air connector.
- Unscrew the meter support bracket bolt.
- Unscrew the four air flow meter mounting bolts from inside the air cleaner housing and remove the meter.
- Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
See Figures 2 and 3Check the air flow meter with the unit out of the car
Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between each terminal of the electrical connector by moving the measuring plate. Resistance between E2 and Vs will be changed in accordance with the measuring plate opening.