SHIFT LEVER FREE-PLAY
See Figure 1
- Remove the console.
- Disconnect the shift control cables from the control shift lever assembly.
- Using a dial indicator, measure the up and down movement of the shift lever; it should be about 0.0059 in. (0.15mm).
If necessary to adjust the free-play::
- Remove the shift lever cover-to-housing screws and the cover.
- Remove the snapring, the shift lever, the shift lever ball seat and the bushing.
- Select the correct shift lever bushing and reverse the removal procedures.
- Recheck the shift lever movement.
See Figure 2
- Check that the engine DOES NOT start when the clutch pedal is released.
- Check that the engine STARTS when the clutch is depressed.
If necessary, adjust or replace the clutch start switch:
- Loosen the clutch switch locknut and adjust the switch to the proper clearance 0.08-0.24 in. (2.0-6.0mm) with a feeler gauge set.
- Retighten the locknut and check for proper operation.