Adjustments to the manual steering gear/rack and pinion are not necessary during normal service. They are preformed only as part of overhaul.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the cover from the intermediate shaft.
- Loosen the upper pinch bolt. Remove the lower pinch bolt at the pinion shaft.
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts.
- Elevate and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove both front wheels.
- Remove the cotter pins from both tie rod joints and remove the nuts.
- Using a tie rod separator, remove both tie rod joints from the knuckles.
- Remove the nuts and bolts attaching the steering rack to the body.
- If possible slide assembly out the wheel well opening. Remove any necessary component to gain working access to remove the rack and pinion assembly from the vehicle. Remove the rack assembly.
- Install the rack assembly. Secure it with the retaining bolts and nuts and tighten them to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm).
- Install any component which were removed for access.
- Connect the tie rods to each knuckle. Tighten the nuts and install new cotter pins.
- Install the front wheels.
- Lower the car to the ground.
- Install the lower pinch bolt at the pinion shaft. Tighten the upper and lower bolts.
- Install the cover on the intermediate shaft. Check front end alignment.