INSPECTING THE AS SYSTEM
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Visually check all hoses and tubes for cracks, kinks, loose connections or other damage.
Check the AS valve:
- On all Federal models, start the engine and check that air is being drawn into the inlet pipe while idling.
- On California models, disconnect and plug the vacuum hose from the AS valve. Remove the air cleaner cover and start the engine. Reconnect the vacuum hose and check that a bubbling noise is heard from the AS valve inlet within 6 seconds.
On all Canadian models, remove the air cleaner cover and with the engine idling, check that a bubbling noise is heard from the AS valve inlet.
INSPECTION OF THE AS VALVE
Federal and Canada
See Figure 4
- Remove the valve from the air cleaner on Canadian models.
- Disconnect the valve from the AS filter on Federal models.
- Blow into the valve. There should be no passage of air through the valve.
- Suck out of the valve. There should be passage of air.
- Reinstall the valve.
See Figure 5
- Remove the AS filter and valve from the air cleaner. Clean the filter.
- Apply vacuum to the diaphragm and check that air flows from the filter side but not from the outlet pipe side.
- Release the vacuum and check that hardly any air flows from the filter side to the outlet pipe side.
- Reinstall the AS valve and filter.