REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
On All-Trac vehicles, the automatic transaxle unit must be removed with the engine as an assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- On some models it may be necessary to remove the level gauge and reservoir tank.
- Disconnect the neutral start switch. Disconnect the speedometer cable or speed sensor.
- Disconnect the shift control cable and throttle cable (at engine compartment).
- Disconnect the oil cooler hose. Plug the end of the hose to prevent leakage.
- Drain the radiator and remove the water inlet pipe if so equipped.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Drain the transaxle fluid. As required remove the exhaust front pipe.
- Remove the engine undercover. Remove the front and rear transaxle mounts.
- Support the engine and transaxle using the proper equipment. Remove the engine center and lower crossmember.
- IOn some models it may be necessary to remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Remove the halfshafts. Remove the starter assembly. Remove the filler pipe.
- Remove the flywheel cover plate. Remove the torque converter bolts.
- Remove the left engine mount. Remove the transaxle-to-engine bolts. Slowly back the transaxle away from the engine. Lower the assembly to the floor.
- Check torque converter installation. Transaxle installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. When installing the automatic transaxle on the 4WD All-Trac vehicles, be sure the mode selector lever is positioned in the FREE mode and attach the lock bolt.
- To check torque converter installation measure from the installed surface to the front surface of the transaxle housing. The correct distance on 1988-92 models should be 0.906 inch (23.0mm). On the 1993-97 models, the correct distance is 0.898 inch (22.8mm).
- Tighten the transaxle retaining bolts;
- Tighten the converter bolts (coat threads with Loctite or equivalent) evenly to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm) on 2WD vehicles and 34 ft. lbs. (46 Nm) on 4WD vehicles.
- Fill transaxle to the correct level, roadtest the vehicle, check fluid level.
See Figure 5
To inspect the throttle cable operation, remove the air cleaner assembly and depress the accelerator cable all the way. Check that the throttle valve opens fully. If the throttle valve does not open fully, adjust the accelerator link as follows:
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Fully depress the accelerator pedal and check that the throttle valve opens fully. If it does not, adjust the accelerator link.
- Fully depress the accelerator. Loosen the adjustment nuts.
- Adjust the cable housing so that the distance between the end of boot and the stopper is 0-0.04 inch (0-1mm).
- Tighten the adjusting nuts.
- Recheck the adjustments.
See Figure 6
- Remove the engine under cover.
- Loosen the control cable lever swivel nut.
- Push the control lever to the right as far as it will go.
- Bring the lever back two notches to the Neutral position.
- Place the shift lever in Neutral.
- Hold the lever, lightly, toward the R range side and tighten the swivel nut.