REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Only the All-Trac models are equipped with a driveshaft. The U-joints are not replaceable.
- Matchmark the both front driveshaft flanges.
- Remove the four bolts, nuts and washers and disconnect the front driveshaft.
- Withdraw the yoke from the transfer.
- Insert SST No. 09325-20010 or equivalent into the transfer to prevent oil leaks.
- Have an assistant depress the brake pedal and hold.
- Place a piece of cloth into the inside of the universal joint cover.
- Using SST No. 09325-20010 or equivalent, loosen the cross groove joint set bolts 1 / 2 turn.
- Matchmark the intermediate and rear driveshaft.
- Remove the four bolts, nuts and washers.
- Remove the two bolts from the front center support bearing and remove the bearing and the washer.
- Remove the rear front center support bearing and washers.
- Install the center support bearing temporarily with the two bolts.
- Align the matchmarks on the rear and intermediate flanges and connect the shafts with the four nuts, bolts and washers. Tighten the bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Remove the special tool from the transfer and insert the yoke.
- Align the matchmarks on both flanges. Install the bolts, nuts and washers and tighten to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Have an assistant depress the brake pedal and hold it.
- Using the removal tool, tighten the cross groove joint set bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Make sure that the vehicle is unloaded, and adjust the distance between the rear side of the boot cover and the shaft.
- Under the same unloaded conditions, adjust the distance between the rear side of the center bearing housing of the cushion to 0.453-0.531 inch (11.5-13.5mm) and tighten the bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Ensure that the center line of the bracket is at right angles at the shaft axial direction.
See Figure 2
- Matchmark the intermediate and rear shaft flanges. Use paint, chalk or a scribe. DO NOT use a punch to matchmark.
- Using SST No. 09313-30021 or equivalent, remove the intermediate and rear flange bolts and separate the two shafts.
- Place the propeller and intermediate shafts on V-blocks and check the run out with a dial indicator. If the run out exceeds 0.031 inch (0.08mm) replace the shaft.
- Measure the run out of the face of the intermediate shaft flange. If the runout exceeds 0.004 inch (0.1mm), replace the shaft.
- Measure the run out of the rear face of the intermediate flange in the vertical direction.
- Check the front shaft spider bearings for axial play by turning the flange while holding the shaft tightly.
- Mount the rear propeller shaft in a vise and check the cross groove joint play. Check the joint for damage or signs of grease leakage around the boot. If damaged, replace the joint.
- Using a ball-peen hammer and a small cold chisel, loosen the staked part of the locking nut located on the rear center support bearing front flange.
- Using SST No. 09330-00021 or equivalent, hold the front flange and remove the nut and plate washer.
- Match mark the rear flange and the front shaft.
- Using SST No. 09950-20017 or equivalent, remove the rear flange.
- Remove the rear center support bearing (note front and back location for correct installation) and plate washer.
- Repeat the first 5 steps to remove the front center support bearing (note front and back location for correct installation).
- Turn the center support bearing by hand while applying force in the direction of rotation. Check the bearing smooth play.
- Inspect both support seals for cracks and damage.
- Set the front center support bearing onto the intermediate shaft.
- Install the plate washer.
- Align the matchmark and install the bearing flange onto the shaft.
- Using SST No. 09330-00021 or equivalent to hold the flange, press the bearing into place by tightening the new locking nut and washer to 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm).
- Loosen the locking nut.
- Torque the nut again to 51 ft. lbs. (69 Nm) and stake the nut with a ball-peen hammer and small cold chisel.
- Repeat the first 6 steps to install the rear center support bearing.
- Mount the rear propeller shaft in a vise and check the cross groove joint play.
- Using SST No. 09313-30021 or equivalent, temporarily tighten the six bolts and three washers using a piece of cloth on the inside of the joint cover.