This sensor advises the ECM of pressure changes in the intake manifold. It consists of a semi-conductor pressure converting element which converts a pressure change into an electrical signal. The ECM sends a reference signal to the MAP sensor; the change in air pressure changes the resistance within the sensor. The ECM reads the change from its reference voltage and signals its systems to react accordingly.
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Use only a 10 megaohm digital multi-meter when testing. The use of any other type of equipment may damage the ECM and other components.
- Unplug the vacuum sensor connector.
- Turn the ignition switch ON .
- Using a voltmeter, measure the voltage between terminals VCC and E2 of the vacuum sensor connector. It should be between 4-6 volts.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF .
- Push the electrical connector back into place.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the sensor.
- Connect the voltmeter to terminals PIM