The water temperature sensor's function is to advise the ECM of changes in engine temperature by monitoring the changes in coolant temperature. The sensor must be handled carefully during removal. It can be damaged (thereby affecting engine performance) by impact.
See Figures 1 and 2
- Unplug the electrical connector from the sensor.
- Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between both terminals. Refer to the chart for the proper resistance reading.
- If the resistance is not as specified, replace the sensor.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Perform this procedure only on a cold engine.
- Drain the cooling system as necessary.
- With the ignition OFF , unplug the electrical connector to the sensor.
- Using the proper sized wrench, carefully unscrew the sensor from the engine.
- Coat the threads of the sensor with a sealant. Install the sensor and tighten it to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Plug the electrical connector into the sensor.
- Refill the coolant to the proper level. Road test the vehicle for proper operation.